When using RWI to read the children will:
- Learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into understanding what they read.
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- Learn to read words using Fred Talk.
- Learn to read words by blending the sounds together.
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learnt to sound out.
- Show that they understand the stories by answering 'Find It' and 'Prove it' discussion questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- Spell effortlessly so that they can put their energy into working out what they want to write.
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds (graphemes).
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk.
- Learn to write simple and then increasingly complex sentences.
- Compose a range of texts using discussion prompts.
- Compose stories based on picture strips.
- Write simple sentences.
- Learn the spelling, punctuation and grammar appropriate to their age and stage.
Children learn to read words by blending the letter sounds that are in the Speed Sound sets. Help your child learn to read words by sound-blending e.g. c-a-t = cat. Help children to say the pure sounds, as quickly as they can and then to blend the sounds together to say the whole word
If you would like to learn more about the Read, Write Inc. scheme and how to support your child at home with their phonics then follow this link https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/
Oxford Owl provide additional information on supporting your child in Year 1 https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/help-child-learn-age-5-6/
For additional reading in line with your child's age and stage follow this link