Art & Design
The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
Art and Design is taught across the curriculum at Welland Primary School. We provide pupils with frequent opportunities to experience a range of creative design and practical skills. We teach art and design though a series of discreet lessons usually tied in to a cross curricular topic. The children use sketchbooks to collate ideas and practice a variety of skills. The teachers use these sketch books to track core artistic skills.
We teach children the ability to use visual language skilfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality. We model and teach the ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form. The children develop the ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination. The children practice and improve their ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media. An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft makers and designers is taught and the children are given ample opportunities to commit to their own research. The children develop the ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings. The children are encouraged to develop independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity. The children are taught the ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected. The children are encouraged to develop the ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others. We work to instil a passion for and a commitment to the subject.
Our Threshold Concepts for Art and Design are:
Art and Design in our classrooms
You will see:
● Children engaged and excited by designs and designers
● Children using a range of different mediums and techniques
● Practical, hands on experience with different mediums and art tools.
● Children working collaboratively
● Children using their growing skill to realise increasingly original and imaginative pieces of art
● Children demonstrating how they keep themselves safe when working
You will hear:
● Children evaluating art and developing their understanding of how art is realised
● Children excited and passionate about art and design
● Children talking about art and design using key vocabulary
● Children evaluating their artwork and the work of others through discussion
You will feel:
● A classroom climate where mistakes are valued and part of the deepening our understanding
● Children building their understanding of art and its merits
● That children are passionate to know more about existing works of art and the artists behind them
● That children are proud of their artwork and want to improve even further