Modern Foreign Languages (French)
The national curriculum for modern foreign languages (MFL) aims to ensure that all pupils:
French is taught discretely at Welland Primary using a variety of interactive and fun resources from across the internet, including Lightbulb Languages, BBC Bitesize and more. Our lessons give children the confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation. Staff model and teach fluency in reading and fluency and imagination in writing. Lessons give children a strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken. Staff and children develop a passion for languages and a commitment to the subject. Children make progress in their ability to use language creatively and spontaneously. The staff encourage children to develop an independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
Our threshold concepts for MFL are:
Read fluently: This concept involves recognising key vocabulary and phrases.
Write imaginatively: This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to write ideas.
Speak confidently: This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to verbally communicate ideas.
Understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken: This concept involves the background knowledge and cultural capital needed to infer meaning from interactions.
French in our classrooms
You will see:
● Children engaged and excited by French
● Children using a range of vocabulary with the correct intonation.
● Children enjoying role play and drama activities.
● Children working collaboratively
● Children using their growing skill to hold conversations, ask questions and produce a variety of imaginative written work.
You will hear:
● Children practicing their French speaking in a supportive atmosphere
● Children excited and passionate about French
● Children talking French using key vocabulary and the correct intonation
● Children performing role plays in French
You will feel:
● A classroom climate where mistakes are valued and part of the deepening our understanding
● Children building their understanding of French
● That children are passionate about modern foreign languages